DIY finger labyrinth






Regularly we will go on family labyrinth walks because (gratefully) there is a beautiful stone labyrinth in a nearby town that we often visit. They are so fascinating and universal through history and mythology across the globe. They have been found on amulets from ancient Egypt, Mycenaean seals, Etruscan vases, Native American paintings and on coins from Crete just to name a few.

 
Starting off activities for the letter L, I thought this was a great opportunity to create our own finger labyrinth for at home as they are such a beautiful spiritual tool and we are all about mindfulness.

The fawns watched a couple videos on the history of labyrinths, how people build modern labyrinths and learnt a bit about what they mean to different cultures and religion. We had a look at the different forms in which labyrinths can take and chose to go with the classic labyrinth. 

Using a smaller version with fewer circuits they placed rocks and crystals along the lines I had marked for them giving a good guide of the creation of labyrinths, circuits and the way they flow. Once they finished they counted how many rocks and crystals they used to complete them. 








For our large finger labyrinth first I drew the labyrinth on a large piece of paper so I could figure out what size would work best. Then I rolled out about 1kg of air dry clay. Using the paper, I cut out the general shape I wanted and placed it over the clay. I ran a pencil along inbetween the labyrinth lines and lifted the paper so the general marks were there to guide the creation. Then I used my finger to push down where we would trace the labyrinth. Smooth out the walls and  finger surface with a little water. A helped decorate it with some gemstones we got from the town we frequent for labyrinth walks. ☺️



We ended up adding a rainbow obsidian cabochon in the center.
We left this for 4 days to dry before a base coat of paint followed by the final paint the next day. I specifically chose brown for dirt and green for grass for that little Earth connection touch.  







Now we have our own beautiful finger labyrinth to incorporate a new form of mindfulness at home. 😊

If you make one, I’d love to see! Tag @deerandfawns on IG

-M 🌏✌️✨

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Willow bird nest

Flying bird papercraft